A/V Cord to Typical Stereo Wires?

I have a surround sound speaker system that only takes the typical stereo wires (you know, positive and negative electrode inputs for left and right side). I also have a stereo reciever that only provides A/V outputs. I was pondering how I could make these work when I realized that, even with an A/V cord, it still needs to make a complete circuit. Thus the cord needs to have two wires going through it, and the plug had a way to complete that circuit. Now that I know this, I want to know if I can cut the plug off of one end, strip the wires apart, and plug those wire ends in my subwoofer? If anyone knows if this is possible, please let me know! And please help me determine which wires are positive and negative current. THANKS!

sort by: active | newest | oldest
So you need to go from A/V outputs on a receiver and plug it into wire terminals on a speaker system. No problem. The Red and White connector are your right and left channels. The center prong is the positive or signal line and the ring around it is the ground. Cut the connectors off the end of a set of cables and strip the wire back. Make sure you know which is the signal wire and which is the ground. Signal goes into the red wire terminal on the speaker system and the ground goes in the black terminal.

Now we are talking about a speaker system right? A system with an amp and a set of speakers? Cause if your looking to plug it into just a set of speakers that have no amp you won't get any sound out of it.
sjeenyus (author)  mpilchfamily5 years ago
I'm not sure. The only inputs for the speakers are the wire terminals. There is no power inlet or anything. Does that mean there's no amp? And how do I determine which wire is ground and signal?
If its just the speakers and you have no box running the speakers and there is not power input and volume control on the speakers then you will need an amp. The signal coming from the A/V cables is too weak to drive speakers. If you have a true stereo receiver then it would have speaker outputs something like the terminal blocks i pictured above. I suspect what your calling a stereo receiver is some sort of cable or satellite box, or some sort of video receiver.

So you don't have a Surround sound speaker system. You have a set of speakers. Its a surround sound system if you have a receiver that outputs surround sound and a set of speakers for all the channels.

In electronics there is a basic color code. Black is almost always ground or negative. Red is almost always the Positive or signal. The picture i have on the right hand side are various types of wire terminals found on the backs of speakers and sound systems. They have red and black terminals and follow the basic color code i just mentioned. As i said before the center peg coming out of the A/V connectors is the positive/signal and the ring around the outside is the negative/ground.
sjeenyus (author)  mpilchfamily5 years ago
But would there be SOME way to build a transformer that could provide the power these speakers need? Somehow splice a second circuit in through the wires?
Yes, "need an actual stereo amp".

You need an actual stereo amp/receiver. If you want poor sound quality you could place a small DIY speaker amp on it but i doubt you want that. A decent receiver without it's own speakers will run your about $100 or more.
lemonie5 years ago
You connect audio-out on the stereo receiver to audio-in on the amplifier.
I don't really understand what your idea is but it doesn't seem right. Do you have audio-in on the amp', or maybe not having an amp' is the problem?