Can I fix it?

i have a 512mb flash drive mp3 player, made by hip street. a long time ago, i was working on a computer. i had just installed the usb ports, so i got the flash drive/mp3 player and plugged it in. a component fried on the motherboard, and windows said that the device malfunctioned. the computer still worked fine, as if nothing happened. alas, the flash drive/mp3 player didn't. it wouldn't connect to the pc. nothing looks fried on the mp3 player, so why wont it work? can it be fixed? i can almost get it to turn on, the power light will flash and then the battery just starts to get really hot. can someone please help? i really want the files off of it.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Re-design7 years ago
Up until the point where you said the battery gets really hot I had hopes that you could just do a reset and it would work again, but something is shorted inside and all hope is gone.

There probably are no files left anyway.

I've never seen something like this happen just by plugging it into a pc.
zack247 (author)  Re-design7 years ago
so then what can i do with it? and maybe the fact this was a 1995 pc i connected it to is the reason?
I don't think the age of the computer has anything to do with it. A bad usb port could cause it. Or a bad power supply putting too much voltage into the usb port. It could have just been static elec. when you plugged it in that zapped it and that is what I would suspect.

I don't think there is a chance that you can fix it.  You would have to figure out what the problem is and even if you did, I doubt that you could get replacement parts.
And, even if you could get replacement parts you'd have to de-solder and re-solder fine-pitch SMD components. If the files are still on there it might be possible to get them back, but it would require some serious hacking, I think.
zack247 (author)  jeff-o7 years ago
so i guess to the garbage dump it goes, then
jeff-o zack2477 years ago
Well, to the e-waste recycling plant, yeah. Sorry. I guess you could stuff it in a drawer and revisit the problem if a) you upgrade your solder skills or b) you find someone to repair it for you...
zack247 (author)  jeff-o7 years ago
meh. its already sat in a box for a year and a half. why not a year and a half more?
jeff-o zack2477 years ago
Sure! It's not like it's taking up a lot of space, right?