Can anyone help me identify some chemistry glassware?

I recently acquired some old glassware from a university sale, and I have a couple of pieces that I have not seen before.
Can anyone assist me in identification? 

The first item appears to be meant for gas samples. It has a stopcock on both ends and has a large space between.
The gas inside is NO2.

The second looks like an addition funnel with a water cooled stem.

Picture of Can anyone help me identify some chemistry glassware?
sort by: active | newest | oldest

Ok I have the bottom one, antique liebig condenser with buret.

cdorris (author)  Josehf Murchison3 years ago

Thanks. Do you have a picture of yours you could share?

Mine is a copper liebig and it is buried right now but here is one in a sketch on line.


cdorris (author)  Josehf Murchison3 years ago

Hmm, ok. That kinda looks like the one I have but not really. I guess it must be a custom piece. I've searched google for hours trying to find the one that looks like mine.

Thanks though.

It is antique Liebig condenser from a Dropshipping Glass Distillation Unit when most lab equipment was custom made that is why you can’t find one.

To make the same Liebig rigging in modern lab equipment the top part is a separatory funnel without a buret or the buret open, the middle part is a Liebig condenser, and the bottom is a buret. But you would not build it that way.

You would go evaporator or heating flask, to Liebig condenser, to collector flask or separator, to a pressure valve or a bubbler.

It is for collecting liquids with a very specific density where you need to increase the pressure in the condenser to make the liquid condense.

Most condensers work by letting the hot gasses pass through it freely and the cold tubing enables the liquid to collect on the inside of the tubing. This works well for liquids like water or alcohol in a still. However for some oils or Naphtha gasses you need a condenser under pressure at a specific temperature, and that is what this Liebig condenser does allowing the chemist manual control of the internal pressure.

This is the whole modern unit.


cdorris (author)  Josehf Murchison3 years ago

You are awesome. Thanks for all the information about my piece. It is nice to know a little more about it.

polarpal991 year ago
cdorris (author) 3 years ago

I just figured out exactly what that one piece of glassware is!

It is for column chromatography.

Most likely for temperature sensitive samples hence the water jacket.

Thank you random google searches when I am bored.

They look like Soxhlet Extractors (purpose use condenser's).

rickharris3 years ago

I imagine the lower item is a kind of fractionating column - to separate distillate from a boiling mixture. the cooling water will make the vapour condense.

cdorris (author)  rickharris3 years ago

hmm. I am not sure about that. If it had a ground glass fitting on the bottom I would agree. However the part below the stopcock is shaped like the end of a funnel or buret. I could be wrong though.

As for the first picture it seems I was correct. It is indeed a gas sample container.