Can anyone help me identify this plant, please?
A few clues:
- garden is in Seattle, WA; in a Temperate Rainforest climate.
- raised bed garden, filled with a none-too-rich commercial compost, built on top of native soil composed of equal parts clay & glacial till.
- this plant or its seed survived an unusually long hard freeze (for this area) this last winter, 12 days of temps ranging from 10-20 F.
- discoloration on leaves is probably Leaf Miner damage, of which our community gardens have a minor plague.
- just before deciding that it might not be a weed, I discovered that it has a thick white taproot that extends well below the 4 inches or so that I'd dug out.