Can anyone tell me if I have created Ferrocyanide by this image?
I have made this, so I can make Prussian Blue, so I can then make the old school 'crystal forest' trick.
Any tips on handling the crystals will be of great use as well, also what type of care should be taken.
Ferrocyanide from what I have read is not dangerous like its salt namesake 'cyanide', any more info here will help me as well.
I have the MSDS for it, and studied some, but some personal experience would be better info.
How I am creating the ferrocyanide:
- 5g Iron Oxide ( Rust )
- 10g Carbon ( Charcoal )
- 10g Sodium Carbonate ( Lectric Soda Crystals, Washing Soda etc )
- Mix the fine powders together thoroughly in a container
- Place mix into a red hot crucible and it will fuse slightly
- Stir mixture when purple flames are visible until the flames cease
- Cool to room temp
- Break mass into a large amount of hot water and stir vigorously
- Filter off unreacted carbon and iron not absorbed
- Evaporate, resulting in Ferrocyanide