Connecting 2 pairs (4 speakers) to one amp & being able to switch between the 2 pairs ?

Hey guys,

I want to be able to have 2 pairs of speaks hooked up to my hi fi system although only use one pair at a time. I want to be able to switch between either of the 2 pairs & don't want to have to go behind the amp to keep re/dis - connecting the wires to interchange them. I need some sort of a box or a speaker terminal to switch them on the fly when i can. Is this possible? Does such a device exist?

I don't want to spend a lot of money, if i know what to buy i wouldn't mind making my self one...?? Any help thanks...

Thanks in advance..

biolethal6 years ago
A good, solid SPDT switch will do it. connect your amp to the middle (common) pole and your sets of speakers to the two sides. make sure you use a large enough switch, or you will lose power and therefore music quality. alternatively, you could use a relay.
Re-design6 years ago
I just noticed that both versions use a common ground where the ground of both channels of the amp are tied together. Some amps don't like that and the grounds of each channel should be kept separate. Check your amp.
Libahunt6 years ago
If you have one input and two outputs then all you need is DPDT switch. Grounds of all three can be soldered together.

This is exactly what you need.
Re-design6 years ago
Here's a good example of a diy version.  Just make sure your switch is non-shorting.  You can omit the resistor and pot.