Ever see those camera shots where someone makes a real location seem to be in miniature?

How do they do that? I would love to create photos like that but haven't been able to figure out how.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
zazenergy6 years ago
That's called tilt-shift photography.

There is little in the way of digital that can truly replicate a real tilt-shift lense, since the computer doesn't know the depth at each given pixel.
I'm sure this is true, but in order to do "true" tilt-shift photography, you need to have a special lens. This isn't the case with digital postprocessing.
just a special lense mount
thegeeke6 years ago
The best way that I know of is to find just the right perspective, use DOF (Depth of focus), and get something right in front of the camera lens. Best achieved with a DSLR, or film SLR.

Look at your local college for photography classes. Sometimes you can take them without getting college credit so that it's cheaper. That should be one of the things they cover.
drknotter6 years ago
What you're looking for is called miniature faking. There are several ways the effect can be achieved, but I've found the easiest way to go about it is with digital postprocessing. In general, what you do is heavily blur elements that are in the foreground and background, leaving elements in the middleground (is that the right term?) nice and sharp.
AKA depth of focus. Used in video a lot, also know as Bocua (sp?) (Pronounced Bo-k-a) in photography. That will not really make the ground look small. (Used in conjunction with other techniques it will, but not by itself.)
Back in the olden days before digital stuff and remote controls, it was called "forced perspective". Is that what you mean? The photographer would place a normal-sized item, person, or animal close to the camera, making it look large and the rest of the scene look minature by comparison. The popular B-Movies of the 50's that featured giant killer animals or mutant people relied heavily on this technique.