Flourescent Tube Driver?

So, I'm working on a coilgun, and I don't want to use camera flash circuits to charge the capacitors. Anyway, I've recently come across this, and was wondering if anyone knew what voltage it put out, and current, and stuff like that. Also, if anyone knows an alternate way of charging capacitors to a voltage of 100v - 400v, please share (after all, sharing is caring). Ciao.

Picture of Flourescent Tube Driver?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
lemonie7 years ago

I don't know, but this one says "in excess of 1000V" - but you can see there how to build one.

LiquidLightning (author)  lemonie7 years ago
So I'm guessing its a baaad idea to charge up a 400v cap. with one of these.

Probably not.
But how a bout making a 400V one?
An old TV and a radio should give you the parts.

LiquidLightning (author)  lemonie7 years ago
Would I have to design it myself or is there some place I can go to get instructions.

The first link is a good guide, you'd want to lower the ratio of turns on the ferrite. I guess at 58:200.

junits157 years ago
DC to DC converters work well too, just be careful with High current DC, it can easily kill. So basically don't put a bridge rectifier on an outlet and call it a day ;)