Flyback transformer question.?

I have an urge to play with high voltage.  Maybe a Jacobs' Ladder, maybe a plasma speaker, maybe just make sparks and burn myself.

Does the make / model of flyback transformer matter?  Or do they all connect the same way?

For instance, would you recommend this model?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
CameronSS6 years ago
-To my (lack of) knowledge, they're pretty much all the same. They might have some different pins at the bottom, but they all have the same essential bits.

-You have to buy one on eBay? Are dead CRTs really that hard to come by?
Kiteman (author)  CameronSS6 years ago
That was an example, but, in this age of LCD TVs, they are getting scarce as freebies.

All CRTs have them though, don't they? Including portable TVs?
Yes, they have to have one to make the HT and do the scan.
Kiteman (author)  steveastrouk6 years ago
I think #1 son's TV may be about to have a nasty accident...
lemonie6 years ago

I've got one from a big TV somewhere - I could post it.
Kiteman (author)  lemonie6 years ago
You sure?
lemonie Kiteman6 years ago

I have one (somewhere). But let me find it first.

Kiteman (author)  lemonie6 years ago