Foreign 220V appliance in the USA?

Hi...I am moving back to USA from South Korea.
I want to bring my LG fridge model # R-T693TH 220V and would like to know if it will work in the US if I install a 220V electrical system in the house. Or would I require a step down  220V to 110v thnx for your replies.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
seandogue6 years ago
I don't recall if Korea operates on 60Hz or 50Hz. If 60HZ, it's as simple as hooking up to a 220 line.

Most houses have 220 for appliances like electric clothes dryers and air-conditioners, but although most US refrigerators operate on 110/120VAC, 220VAC isn't all that weird at all.

Apartments I'm not so sure about. If you're going to be moving to an apartment, You'd need to check with whomever you're getting housing.

I won't go much further except to say that 110 is simply one half of the 220 (L1-L2) fed to the home...(L1-return, L2 -return) 
.  According to Voltage, Frequency and Plug/Outlet Type in Korea, South, S Korea uses 220 V @ 60 Hz.
Yes, forgot to mention. This is all US standards I talk about. Most foreign countries have kept the old ways of 110V and 220V running through their lines.
Pretty well "most" of the world runs on 220V.
Yes, your exactly right. We are an odd country. And good gracious, might I just clear up this whole conversation by saying, yes, we get 240V, and no, we don't get it on a seperate line. I see my comment may have started that, but that's not what I meant at all. I just meant we get 240V and 120V, not on seperate lines. Steve is once again right, it comes in the phases. We are supplied 120-0-120. My whole point is that it is not 110 and 220 here in the US. That's all. :I
I figured as much, (I think they have it as a result of our involvement there following the Korean war) but I wasn't prepared to look it up at the time I responded. Thanks for confirming.
Dr. Pepper6 years ago
There is 220 volts here in America. You might just have to install one.
Trust me. I know this, atleast for newer homes built after 2005. Houses are fed 240 and 120 volts. Several large appliances in my home run off a dedicated 240 volt circuit. In older homes they are most likely 220 and even with new circuits run they will deliver 220 unless you want your home completely re-wired and each circuit updated.
orksecurity6 years ago
If you want to plug 1 220VAC device into 110VAC you would need a step-UP transformer... obviously, one large enough to handle the load the fridge will present.

It will be more efficient to run it off a 220V drop (just as your electric stove and/or electric drier are wired). And given that the fridge is the major consumer of electricity in most households, efficiency does matter. But of course that will probably require getting an electrician in to set up the 220V circuit for you.