Glider Part That Makes Gliders Glide?

From the title, I'm sure you can tell that I'm absolutely ignorant about what this part is or how to replace it.  Basically, I have a few gliders with broken bits that are supposed to make the gliders glide.  And because I have no idea what this part is, I've taken a few pictures.

I'm wanting to fix these parts, but I don't know the name of the part and, consequently, where to find them.  Brah!!!!

Picture of Glider Part That Makes Gliders Glide?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
Burf7 years ago
Okay, now I understand what it is you are asking about, I think I may be able to help you. I built a porch glider about 15 years ago and with the exception of some periodic maintenance, has been trouble free.
Rather than the expensive setup you linked to, here is a drawing of what I used and it works perfectly and cost in the neighborhood of a $1.50 per.
porch glider.png
NachoMahma7 years ago
This patent for a glider seat (PDF) calls them "braces" (items #42 and 43 in the drawings).
Strange. you're right, but a brace is for bracing...odd...hehe/she invented it, and he/she got the cash ;-)

Still a linkage in my book.
.  Yeah. Brace is not the name I would have picked. How about "flying link"? Or maybe "parallel link". Possibly even "frame/seat connector". But not a brace.
.  Apparently, that wasn't the part in question, so it doesn't really matter. :) I see.
orksecurity7 years ago
For wood gliders, these pivots are available from many woodworking stores -- I know Rockler has them, for example.

Metal... I don't know.
AngryRedhead (author)  orksecurity7 years ago
I think I might have found it by going through Rockler and then onto Google shopping with some key words.

This is what I'm after if I got it right.
I guess we should'a looked at all of your photos. I was trying to fix the wrong part.
Looks like it.
paganwonder7 years ago
I agree with RedneckEngineer- you are probably best off fabricating your own parts. Replacements are impossible to find for purchase plus I see from one of your pictures that you are going to have to do some "kludging" to overcome the torn aluminum around the original holes. An idea for reinforcing the torn holes- bend fender washers to fit closely around the tubing (I use steel pipe and a vice as a form) and then J-B Weld them using a bolt and nut to position and clamp washers.
Re-design7 years ago
Swing arm. I'd still make my own replacements but the idea of checking Rockler's is worth a try.
We always called them rocker arms. Good luck finding replacements to buy, I would just make my own and bolt them on.
seandogue7 years ago
I'd say "cam" but that's not quite right. Linkage would be the generic term.

I think redesign has the right idea. They're just strips of aluminum. simply cut new ones using the old ones as guides., drill the holes, and assemble.

You might want to check out McMaster for new fasteners. They sell in small qty so no need for a $25 order to get a few pieces.
kelseymh7 years ago
Curses! You posted too much description and too many pictures for my first answer...

Re-design7 years ago
I don't know exactly what to call them either, but I'll bet you can't just go some where and buy them off the shelf. If they're broken you're probably going to have to make new ones. They are made out of aluminum so it'll be super easy.