Hand-held typing device - UK - Mid 1980s.?

Back in the 1980s I knew someone who used a hand-held typing device which worked by pressing 5 keys (one for each finger + thumb) to form characters.  The stored text could then be downloaded via (I think) serial link to a PC.  He used to infuriate lecturers by appearing to be sitting idly and not taking notes when he could actually operate this device at normal speaking speed and could print off a whole lecture transcript afterwards.
What was this device called and who made it?

Your looking for a thing called a chording keyboard
the UK one you are thinking of is

There are some neat open source ones  too!

AndyGadget (author)  steveastrouk7 years ago
Yep - It was the Microwriter. 
Thanks Steve.
"Chordite" ???
rickharris7 years ago
The finger patterns can be found here In the 90's I had an agenda with the same key pad type. It worked for me with very little practice.