How can I create a musical instrument out of junk?
It's a project for physics, and it sounds impossible. I also have to play it in front of the class and have a written component with an explanation on what resonance is occurring. No electric instruments.
1. Construct a musical instrument out of junk and common materials such as plastic pipe, wood, glass, metal scrap, etc.
2. Demonstrate and explain physics concepts inherent in your instrument.
1. The instrument must be able to play an octave in tune to receive a B grade.
The A grade is reserved for truly amazing instruments in terms of thought and construction, so my challenge to you is to WOW me.
2. The instrument must be able to play a song. Songs such as âMary had a Little Lambâ or âTwinkle Twinkle Little Starâ are not adequate since they do not include all the notes in an octave.
3. No Kazoos, Jewâs Harps, Pop bottles filled with water, musical saws, washtub basses etc. When in doubt â ask.
4. This is a high school level assignment, so I am expecting high school level (or above) projects at an appropriate level of difficulty.
5. Grading will be based on
â¢ # of notes played
â¢ ability to make your instrument resonate
â¢ appropriate difficulty of the instrument construction
â¢ your song of choice in an auditory presentation to the class and an explanation of the physics behind your instrument
â¢ creativity of course.
Stringed instruments must have more than one string.