Instructables

How can I make a 9 volt shocker?

Okay.I want to build a shocker with a nine volt battery.No soldering iron.I have lots of 9 volt batteries. Note:A 9 volt shock is wanted .Not 300 volts. Thanks,bylerfamily

Berkin5 years ago
Go get yourself an old CRT display and rip the Flyback transformer out of it. Also use a momentary switch, a 9-volt (of course), and a 9-volt clip.

  • Connect one switch terminal to the - end of the battery clip.
  • Connect the + side of the battery clip to pin 1 of the Flyback transformer.
  • Connect the other end of the switch to pin 10 of the Flyback transformer.
  • Connect a long piece of bare, solid wire to pin 6 of the Flyback transformer.
  • Connect another piece of bare, solid wire to the long red wire coming out of the top of the transformer.
  • Tape the battery and switch to the transformer for additional portability.
  • Tape the probes (the 2 bare wires) on either side of the transformer, being careful not to touch any wires or terminals.
  • Press the button and release to induce high voltage across the probes.
hifatpeople4 years ago
Be more descriptive of what you need it for. If you want a 9v shock stick it to your tounge.
thesparkly14 years ago
I know this post is rather old now, but i've just stumbled across it. For your interest, a few years back i purchased a 'electric shock pen' for laughs from a local novelty store. The pen looked like any other and was presumably wired up with some very small batteries because it was too small to even consider cramming AAA batteries into it (and obviously a 9V was out of the question). Clicking the end of the pen with my thumb created a very appreciable shock. In fact, it was so impressive that my mate (who loves a good practical joke), insisted on buying it off me the same day! So, i'm a little confused now because the comments in this post suggest that a fair voltage is needed to appreciate a shock, but i can assure you that this wasn't the case with my electrocution-pen. Have i missed something or misinterpreted the advice provided here? I would be grateful if someone could offer some clarification. Thanks in advance.
bylerfamily (author)  thesparkly14 years ago
Yes,it probably had a small transformer and a capacitor like the ones in a camera.The battery,I'm guessing, was only to power the transformer which stepped up the voltage to charge the capacitor,like in www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-the-Worlds-Smallest-Electronic-Shock/
Step one, ask victim to hold out their tongue. Step two, place 9v battery terminals on tongue. Your friends aren't going to feel it otherwise.
I kind of meant not that kind of shocker,I licked one before.
You can't feel 9V unless it's on your tongue.

You need to increase the voltage (and decrease the current) to generate a decent shock. Use the search box (top right of the page) to find the shocker of your choice.
bylerfamily (author)  Kiteman5 years ago
In otherwords,I couldn't shock someone if I connected a nine volt battery clip to a battery and touched the wires to my arm?
Absolutely not.
bylerfamily (author)  Kiteman5 years ago
Okay.I ended up taking the igniter out of a lighter.10,000 volts but it does not hurt that bad.(Which is what I wanted in the first place)
Pro

Get More Out of Instructables

Already have an Account?

close

PDF Downloads
As a Pro member, you will gain access to download any Instructable in the PDF format. You also have the ability to customize your PDF download.

Upgrade to Pro today!