How can I move a 12 foot by 24 foot shed?

I have a 12 foot by 24 foot shed that I need to move away from my house, its just too close. I just want to move it about 7 feet and forward.
The floor joist are 2"x 6". I want to move the shed North (literately) and the joist are running East/West, thats good so far, as I intend to use 3 pieces of 2" x 10" running the full 24 feet North and South. Now here's the problem... Its heavy and I dont know what I could use to roll it on. I was thinking about using 4" PVC pipe schedule 40 (or 80). I just want some feed back before I do this. Cost is an issue here... dont forget Im doing a " for the poor man " series

sort by: active | newest | oldest

Using PVC pipes does seem workable but you would have to build quite a massive base in order to accommodate the removal of the huge shed you own. After doing that, you would also require a sturdy harness in order to pull the entire shed and get it to move to how far a distance that you require.

BluTiger (author)  MarcioWilges2 years ago

Thank you for your input. I have decided to move it to another location on the property. The walls are only 3 1/2 feet tall, so i decided to dismantle it and rebuild it making the walls 6 feet tall. Thanks to all whom commented as I ask question not only for myself by someone else who may be facing the same problems...

I can't wait to see how you achieve moving the storage shed! Don't forget to take videos and post up the moving process for our reference man! Good luck!

lemonie5 years ago
Hollow PVC pipe will tend to crush, can you borrow some steel-tubes?
How do you intend to jack the shed up, or will you be digging underneath it?


Even if his shed is heavier, he can use bigger pipes. Or he can fill them with cement or something else.

BluTiger (author)  lemonie5 years ago
Its all ready jacked up... did that last year. I used a couple of 2.5 ton jacks and dug a hole where i wanted the jacks. I had some Trex board and raised it on each side till I could get a cylinder block under it. Its in a very wet location so I wanted it to dry for a year before I could think about moving it. One of my neighbors told me last year I do some strange projects...

My Father in law bought that Trex when it first came out, I had wood breaking and compressing from the weight, used a scrape piece about 3" x 5" Trex on top of the saddle and it only had an impression of the saddle in it. Love that stuff
Look for "scaffolding" in a phone book or something; ask them how much it would cost to use a dozen (steel) scaffolding-poles for a day.

I think I saw this in a movie once.  There was this little green guy who picked up this big metal thing and moved it from one side of a swamp to the other, and prior to this big thing being moved, it kind of looked like an impossible task, but it turned out it really wasn't, at least not in the context of the movie.
BluTiger (author)  Jack A Lopez5 years ago
LOL U 2 Funny
rickharris5 years ago
personally i would look closely at it and see if it was built in sections - You may be able to take to bits and reassemble.
BluTiger (author)  rickharris5 years ago
Nope rick its not in sections...
Shame you will have to seek some good rollers and planks to roll them on.
Vyger5 years ago
Used telephone poles. You don't need new ones. Used poles will be fairly uniform in diameter, (close enough) and you should be able to get some that are long enough. They sometimes break off at the bottom and sometimes just get retired because the cables are moved or something. Your local utility probably has some. Bottle hydraulic jacks would be strong enough to lift it up but something I have seen them use around here that appears to work really good are air bladders. They are super heavy duty air bags that are pumped up with compressed air. I watched them move a large trailer house addition with this method. You might be able to rent them somewhere. Another thing to use instead of 2 x 10 would be railroad ties. Again something that I have seen used here. The professional house movers use steal beams.
BluTiger (author)  Vyger5 years ago
I'd at least like something I can resell after Im done with them
Vyger BluTiger5 years ago
You can probably get the poles for free. Once they are shortened they are of no use to a utility company anymore. Most are just disposed of. I have cut some up for firewood although you have to be careful of that because some have toxic preservatives in them. A few years ago the railroad here removed all the old poles and wires along their right of way. They recycled the wire but the poles they just left in big stacks. They can't bury them and they can't burn them so their solution was to just leave them in piles forever, or until someone wants them for something.

I was also thinking of wooden fence posts. They are smaller in diameter but they are usually not more than 6 feet long. Those you can buy at most farm and ranch supply stores or a lumber yard.

If anyone where you live builds log houses they might have some left over log pieces. I bought a whole pile of those at an auction once. I got 3 truckloads of logs for 20 bucks. I used them for all kinds of projects over the years.
Burf5 years ago
Lever it into position. Fasten a skid, under each corner then lever each corner forward a foot or two in an alternating sequence.
Taper the ends of the skids facing forward so they ride up over the ground and rigidly secure them to the building.
Two people on the lever will ease the work load and It may take a while but if you have a good lever, it will do the job.