How do I convert a weed eater to edger?

I have a Poulan Pro (PP133) gas trimmer and I would like to convert it to an edger. I am also going to try and find a way to install or convert it so when I hit the head on the ground the string will advance instead of having to turn off the weed eater to install new string. Last time I called the Home Depot they sell an attachment that does edging for my weed eater but it cost over $79. It almost costs more then my weed eater. Thanks. AL.

If you want to use the weed eater as an edger then turn it on it's side. Nothing more to it unless you want to attach a wheel to the side so you can more easily walk it along the edge of the path/drive. There is no need for an edger attachment when the strings can do the same job.
alsports2000 (author)  mpilchfamily5 years ago
Thanks for your answer but when I try that the string does not reach all the way down the driveway. When we pay a lawn guy to mow our lawn he uses an edger and the yard look very nice. I am definitely going to look into installing a wheel though. Thanks again. AL.
rickharris5 years ago
Copy the attachment - Without seeing what you have it's almost impossible to advise further.

The string feed is a function of the cartridge. So you either need to get one that fits or look at one and copy the mechanism.
alsports2000 (author)  rickharris5 years ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will follow your suggestions. Thanks again. AL.