How do high voltage devices (like a flyback from a CRT) affect my electricity bill?

Since I'm stepping up the voltage after the power is drawn from the mains to my house, do I pay more than for the input voltage/current?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
lemonie8 years ago
You pay for what the meter says you have used. What you do with it after the meter is unlikely to affect the metering of the energy coming into your home. I have wondered what half-wave rectifying the supply would do the metering but have never tried it. L
u to huh
¿Habla usted inglés? L
sykotik (author)  lemonie8 years ago
That's a great question to wonder about! I might just have to try it out myself ;-) I'll let you know if I make it happen, and what effects it has on my metered power usage. Thanks!
u my freind pay for what the meter says like what the other guy said and depends on how u use it if u use it wisley it wont raise ur bill up alot oh and dont let ur little baby or baby cousins play with it u dont now what'll happen -.-
NachoMahma8 years ago
. You pay for electricity by the watt-hour. Watts = Volts * Amps. The flyback transformer steps up the voltage, but the output current is less. In a perfect transformer, Wattsin = Wattsout , but there will be some losses in the real world.
. If you're asking about power factor, next to none.
sykotik (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
Ok, that helps a lot! Now I've just got to get down the understanding of Watts versus Watt-Hours...Or actually, as I reread your post, I think it's in there. I'm thinking of a 1000W widget...and how much it pulls...but I should really just be looking at the input voltage and amps. Awesome! Thanks!