How do they mow the lawns in those criss-cross patterns, esp. at stadiums etc.?

I've always wondered how they get that "herringbone" pattern or "chessboard" pattern in lawns
especially at baseball or football stadiums. They look nice.

ol1v33r3 years ago
They use a mower with rollers and then they go one way and then back the other. I really like the way they get those blue lines to follow the players when they are showing how they passed the ball to score and then they get them to disappear again and come back somwhere else. i hope i don't get into trouble for posting an external link i don't know if its allowed or not but anyways here ull like it
Kiteman3 years ago
Cylinder mower with trailing rollers, cross-cut at different angles (90º gives a chess board pattern).
seandogue3 years ago
the wheels do the job. just mow in straight, parallel lines in a single direction, then mow again perpendicular.
kelseymh3 years ago
There are several Insructables on the subject. Search for "lawn stripe" in the search box.
Striping and cross-checking are not quite the same, and I too have not really found a good tutorial Instructables or otherwise on the subject.
From watching the work at AT&T Park (home of the San Francisco Giants), it looked to me like you just to the back-and-forth along X, then along Y. I agree that it would be nice to see a follow up to one of the ~4 existing I'bles to show cross-hatching explicitly.
Its easy, they use cylinder mowers.

Get More Out of Instructables

Already have an Account?


PDF Downloads
As a Pro member, you will gain access to download any Instructable in the PDF format. You also have the ability to customize your PDF download.

Upgrade to Pro today!