How do you call these "shielding nuts"?

They're quite handy for protecting my bearings, and it would be easier to ask for them in skateshops if I knew their name.

Picture of How do you call these
sort by: active | newest | oldest
caarntedd7 years ago
The flange on a flanged nut is not usually as wide or as thin as this. The flange is meant to apply pressure over a larger area than usual. Your pic seems to show a 'shield' just as you mentioned. It  may be a special item.

Why don't you try an ordinary nyloc or other type of prevailing torque nut, with a mudguard washer?
cephalopoid (author) 7 years ago
Thanks fellas. A skateshopowner told me they wouldn't work, although he knew what I was talking about. Dirt would get through anyway, and the only thing the shield would do would be to hinder the dirt to get out. Too bad, I'll have to live without the extra protection for my bearings, then.
TheZuke!7 years ago
I'm wondering if your photo is showing a thin metal cap that fits over a nut. Sometimes they are purely decorative, in your case the wide flange may shield the under lying bearing from grit .
Upon closer inspection, I think you are right.
besides what other people have said. I've also heard them called whiz-nuts. ofcourse they are a little different. Your nuts look pretty specialized... haha. the closest thing to that that I could think of is a flat washer with a nylock nut ontop. Don't know if you have enough length in the stud/axle. May be able to find a nylock that isn't as tall if you're lucky. Happy hunting
NachoMahma7 years ago
Flange lock nut (per Re-design)
Flanged Nylock nut (per caarntedd)
Nylon insert flange nut
caarntedd7 years ago
Flanged Nyloc nut.
Re-design7 years ago
Flanged lock nuts.

You should buy hardware made for your wheels.  They don't all take the same nuts.
Plasmana7 years ago
My best guess it is a lock nut, but I never seen those types before. It would probably be easier to take those nuts in and show it to the shopkeeper and say you want more of those.