How do you substitute a diode?

I'm putting together an order at Small Bear Electronics but they don't have the bat46 Schottky diode.  How would I substitute another diode?  None of their inventory seems to be Schottky.

You don't say what its for, a schottky is a low forward volt drop device, and very fast, it may be needed in this application. You can't get away with a standard diode probably.

flagrantfouler (author)  steveastrouk6 years ago
It's for a diode-clipping guitar distortion.
Oh just try a small signal diode - like a 1N4148, or, if you can get one, a germanium diode.
Try a 1n34 instead (germanium)