I have a 100W amplifier, but my speakers only handle 30W, what do I do!?

I have a 200W (100W for each L and R channel), but my speakers only handle 30W, is there a component I can get to limit the wattage? Would this just be some resistors? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I haven't done any electronic stuff in a while.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
NachoMahma6 years ago
. You may have a limiter built-in to the amplifier. Often labeled "Volume". If you have one, it will probably be on the front panel.
Zem (author)  NachoMahma6 years ago
Yes, there's a volume knob. Just don't turn it up too high then? =P
NachoMahma Zem6 years ago
. Yep. You should be able to hear the speakers start to distort before you do any damage. When you hear distortion, turn it down a little bit.
rickharris6 years ago
MUCH depends on exactly what your amp manufacturer is quoting as power. 100 Watts RMS is very different to 100 watts of Music power (often quoted).

I doubt that your amp is actually producing 100 watts less than 5% did on test here in the UK.

As said by NM watch the volume.
Zem (author)  rickharris6 years ago
Thanks Rick!
Re-design6 years ago
Buy new speakers or add more to absorb the power. You have to wire them so that the ohm number is right for the amp.