loading

I have blown a fuse in my room, outlets don't work along with lights, smoke detectors, my room circuit may be blown.Help

So, I was trying to connect wires to my lamp so I could switch it off while laying in bed so I didn't have to get up to turn it off, but I forgot to unplug it while connecting them.  So, I connected the first wire, and then connected the second, and FWWZT a spark jumped out from the wire and everything in my room went dead.  I checked my house, it was ONLY my room that had short-circuted.  I think every outlet in my room is blown, nothing plugged in my room works, while it does in others.  I need help repairing these outlets...  Any ideas?  I live in the United States, so I have 60 cycle, 230-250 V (not sure on the voltage) outlets.  I can't remember the voltage right now.  I checked a few of the outlets already, and they seem fine, no disconnections.  The lights don't work, the smoke detector isn't on, and the outlets don't output power.

[EDIT] - Thank you all for your advice, and I will get help from an adult before doing any more with circuits


sort by: active | newest | oldest
Re-design6 years ago
Where the power comes into your house you have a circuit breaker panel. The circuit breaker panes should be behind a gray metal door.  Go there and turn your breaker back on.

You may have to turn them all off them back on to find the one that goes to your room.

You have 120 volt outlets.

You don't have the experience to be working with 120 volts yet so get help before trying this again so you don't kill yourself.
vinco0074 years ago
The same exact thing just happened to me but I had connected a magnetic screw driver to a wire that was plugged into the wall then sparks went everywhere
Nikolai Tesla you ain't.
orksecurity6 years ago
Just seconding Re-design's answer. Blowing a fuse or breaker is a red flag saying that you did something wrong, and if the circuit hadn't been protected you would probably have started a fire -- and, frankly, you're lucky not to have given yourself a nasty, potentially fatal, shock. This is a red-flag warning that if you don't know _exactly_ what you did wrong, you have no business trying it again until you have learned more.

A few general points:

US house current is typically 110-120VAC. There are 220-240V circuits, but they're used for larger equipment (stoves, clothes driers, large air conditioners) and should always have a different connector (one of several) to keep you from confusing them with the 110V circuits. You're extremely unlikely to encounter 440V circuits at home, but they do exist in commercial buildings to power elevators and other large machinery.

ALWAYS unplug circuits before working on them. (Experts can get away with not doing so, but experts don't need our advice here.)

ALWAYS visually check the circuit before plugging it in to make sure the correct connections, and ONLY those connections, have been made. (You created a short circuit, which is what blew the fuse.)  Preferably, get someone more experienced to check your work. Stranded wire, in particular, has a habit of making connections you didn't intend, either to the other side of the power line or to the case, but even solid wire will present that hazard if you aren't careful.

Seriously consider testing repaired AC devices by plugging them into a power strip which has its own switch and its own 10A or smaller fuse or breaker. That helps keep the problem local rather than putting strain on the house's systems. Personally, I'm a definite fan of using a box which also has a GFCI protecting it, which will help protect you from some (not all!) electrocution hazards.

kricketone6 years ago
check fuse box if it has relays or cercuit breakers look for the one that is off or if you have glass fuses look for one that is blown and replace