I'd like to run a 230V pump from house current (US).

I bought a March 809-02 pump on eBay and sadly didn't pay attention to the voltage for it.I got it to transfer hot water in my brewing projects. I have basic skills but I want to be safe about it. If this is a thing best left to a truly qualified electrician, I will do so. Thanks in advance.Sean

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Vyger6 years ago
If you have an electric clothes dryer it probably runs on 220. If that is the case you can make your own "extension cord" and plug it into the dryer plug.
To make the extension you would need a length of cable, the same size that your dryer uses would be best, which is probably a 4 wire cable. Also buy a plug to fit the dryer receptacle. On the other end find a plug to match what is on your pump. If it is made to be hardwired then you can wire it directly with the end of the cable. Use the circuit breaker for the dryer as your on off switch.
tireswing (author)  Vyger6 years ago
That did it. I totally forgot about the dryer. My last one was gas. Thanks!
If I were you, I'd switch this thing with a relay or contactor near the panel, and then I could use a low voltage (say 12V) circuit into my wet area.

You should have 220V in your panel at home, but you'll need a 220V RCD (do you guys call them that ?) if this is in a wet application. Its not a scary thing to run it on 220V. Just get appropriate connectors. In the UK, we have a special class of connector for running in wet apps. I don't know if you do in the USA - off to the local supply house to find out.
.  As steve points out, wet locations can be very dangerous. If it's a wet location, I suggest getting a pro to do the job.
GFI ! I forgot. Thanks
tireswing (author)  steveastrouk6 years ago
The bummer is that it (the house) is a rental and I haven't seen a 220V outlet. The place has gas appliances.The main panel also appears to be full. Am I out of luck?
You COULD put another panel in parallel with the incomer, but this is getting VERY technical for someone not skilled/safe in the art. And the place ain't yours either, which means, even if you got it done, you couldn't take it with you.

I know you could buy transformers that do the conversion....but that's rather defeating the object.....

Here in the UK, we can get 220/110V transformers for use on building sites, for peanuts - you'd run one backwards to do what you want.

tireswing (author)  steveastrouk6 years ago
Thanks to everyone for the answers. On to brewing!
Don't forget the GFI !!

Using a circuit breaker as a switch is a bad idea, they are not designed for that kind of duty - they are emergency switches, not routine ones, and you are likely to want to operate it with wet hands anyway.

tireswing (author)  steveastrouk6 years ago
I figured that and intended to put in a switch. Especially since I was interested in one closer to the pump; I hear that wet pumps don't like to run without liquid in them. Thanks again!