Is a CRT monitor just any one that isn't flat, but with a bulge at the back?

It would be great if it is, because I have 2 or 3 around and want to make the electric levitation device.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
munchman8 years ago
A CRT monitor is any display that uses a cathode ray tube to show images. This includes computer monitors, televisions and other devices, such as the viewfinders in older video cameras. Most (if not all) "bulgy" monitors are CRTs.
XOIIO (author)  munchman8 years ago
Thanks! Time to go break in my new electric screwdriver!
frollard XOIIO8 years ago
I thought you said 'sonic screwdriver' for a sec - and then thought no, thats WAY out of your time :D
XOIIO (author)  frollard8 years ago
True, I need to rebuilt my transporter so I can get back to Pluto. Then I'll have another one. Btw, do you know any sources of uranium?
robotguy4 XOIIO8 years ago
I heard eBay sells some...
Picture 4.png
frollard XOIIO8 years ago
lawl :D
AndyGadget8 years ago
Just a word of caution. From the question, it sounds like you're not too familiar with the insides of tellys. Even if it's been turned off for ages, there can still be enough voltage stored in the tube to at least give you the fright of your life, and if you're REALLY unlucky, kill you. Connect the blade of an INSULATED screwdriver (not your nice new electric one) to a piece of wire, connect the wire to the TV chassis, and then poke the screwdriver under the plastic cover where the thick wire goes into the tube. It may make a loud CRACK!. Do this several times until all the noises have stopped, and then some more for luck.
XOIIO (author)  AndyGadget8 years ago
Yeah. I already checked for the magnets though, and could'n find them :(
There'll be no BIG magnets in there. Deflection coils are used to direct the electron beam. There may be an assortment of small magnets on a plastic yoke on the tube, but they're pretty weak. If it's magnets you're after, go for some neodymium ones off eBay.