Is it possible to create a horizontal line on TV screen to be able to move it ???

Hi ... I would like to ask, if you know a way how to create a thin, horizontal line on your TV screen by using a device ???

Device is NOT a string, scratch on the screen, line with a pen ... (and not even PC)... by DEVICE I mean an circuit (micro controller, resistors...etc) ... and I should be able to move the line to any position I want (up/down).
EDIT : the line should be projected on the screen without having an effect on the background. So that you could watch a movie and see the line as well. A better example are the "driving lines" on a rear camera ( This is, what I'm looking after.

Have you ever come in touch with something like this, or do you have an idea, how to create it ???

Thank you in advance .... zholy

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Re-design7 years ago
The original pong games were a device that generated a line etc. on the screen.

Using that type of circuit you should be able to do what you want to do.

any of the micro controllers would be able to do it very easily thru programming if hooked to an rf converter unless the tv has a digital input.

PS.  Since you negated the string method, scratch and pen methods you must be catching on to the temperment of the answerers!
After all the flak he got over "measuring distance with an Arduino", can ya blame him? ;-)
zholy (author)  RavingMadStudios7 years ago
Exactly ... that's where I learned my lesson :) ...
I still think throwing the Arduino is a perfectly valid, if unconventional, solution.
zholy (author)  Re-design7 years ago
That's a really good idea - with the pong games. And by your answer I realised, that I missed something in my question - where I make the EDIT. I'll do some googling towards this direction. Thanks ...

PS : I'll be honest with you (all of you) ... this site is for me the only place, where I can speak with people that are willing to listen=read my ideas and they are ready to help. And when I ask something how to do, where to look ... I get the help that I need. That's what I really appreciate.
If I would be looking for answers like string, scratch or "throw arduino" ... I will ask my friends and I'll get plenty of funny to stupid answers. To avoid that ... I place ma questions here.
Re-design zholy7 years ago
Ah, but sometimes string, scratch or throw IS the answer.  I remember the question and the detail was lacking in the question as to the method you were asking for.

Good job on supplying more information this time.

I remember reading about a circuit that would super impose a figure over the image on a tv.  If I can remember where it is I"ll find it for you.

Good luck.

orksecurity7 years ago
Since you can superimpose/fade/color-key images in the studio, and since many TVs these days can superimpose on-screen graphics on the video signal, the answer is obviously yes.

For a horizontal line... the simplest solution would seem to be a circuit which understands the video signal well enough to recognize the start of a frame, count the appropriate number of raster scans down, then force the signal high or low for an appropriate number of rasters (without overwriting the retrace mark).
zholy (author)  orksecurity7 years ago
Thanks to your answer I got really close to my goal. The secret was the word SUPERIMPOSE ... (I didn't know that) ... and I found this where is an microcontroller - schematic and example. I think, that's it :) ... by using text like this " _______________ " I could have my line :)

Thank you very, very much for the word.
seandogue7 years ago
you could try here