Is it possible to make a plane that can hover (helicopter style) in the air using three downward facing turbofans?

Would it be possible to make a plane that can hover (helicopter style) in the air using three turbo fans or turboprops (two big ones on the sides to lift the aircraft and one on the back to steer) I was just wondering if that would be possible, not that i even have the tools to try it out. I just have a hobby of speculating about these things. If it would really be tried in the near future, it would be a great alternative to an attack helicopter! See this link for a good example how it would be like: . Please do not take this question to seriously, I am just an ordinary knexer and so i'm not going to do anything with this. But I was just wondering...

sort by: active | newest | oldest
lemonie8 years ago
Attack helicopters are just fine as they are, the blade system works well for hovering. Balance is a key tricky-area for vectored thrust aircraft. (Other comments noted)


TigerNod (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Yes, balance is tricky, so I thought three turbofans would be better then one or two. Do you that should work?
TigerNod (author)  TigerNod8 years ago
Correction: Do you think that should work?
You're not going to get your hands on turbofan engines are you?! Good designs (e.g. Harrier) have already been realised. The Moller SkyCar sounds like what you are thinking of, you could look for more information on that?

TigerNod (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Me and turbo fan engines!? Lol, how do I need to get them, make them from Knex? The skycar is very interesting, I select this as the best answer.
yes it is possible... i know its do able because im busy building a r/c model, its just very expensive. you might want to chek out tricopters and take a look at the f-35 lightning real life vtol fighter jet... also search on youtube for vtol rc aircraft there are some pretty neat designs...
TigerNod (author)  CriticaL91517 years ago
Thanks for the help, although I don't need it anymore. Lowney gave me the answers I need to know more then a year ago.
NachoMahma8 years ago
. The Harrier uses thrust vectoring in a similar fashion.
. Googling "articulated jet engines" turns up some interesting stuff more along the lines of the ORCA.
TigerNod (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
The harrier can't hover like this for long; what I meant was more like chopper style. The search for articulated jet engines on google did not yield any results.
. Something like the Osprey?
Why didn't you post the video of machine in action?

TigerNod (author)  lemonie8 years ago
0:00: wow, this is just sooooo cool! 0:10: ...maybe not...
TigerNod (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
Yes. Kinda.
It is possible but you would have to have enough thrust to carry every thing. They have made planes similar such as the Hawker Siddeley. They are called VTOL or vertical take off and landing. The Hawker Siddeley is in the family off the Harrier. They are also called jump jets.