Is it possible to weatherproof one of those large art prints to go on an external wall?

There are some fairly good large printed pictures of say, a large Frangipani or Rose in the stores at a reasonable price. If I could treat them in some way to withstand the weather on a South facing wall (Oz), they would be perfect for a garden art work. What do you think? Can it be done?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
gardenmama8 years ago
I've read you can coat a picture with a thin layer of polyurethane. This will block out water, but doesn't do anything for UV protection. Haven't tried it myself yet, so I can't say how well it would work. But it definitely would be a less expensive option. There are several online sites that sell paintings made with UV resistant ink for outdoor use. They run about $150 each.
NachoMahma8 years ago
. Protecting them from wind and rain shouldn't be that difficult (sealed box with Nitrogen), but protecting them from fading due to UV (even strong visible light can cause fading over time) may be a problem, even on a S-facing wall. You need to find a "glass" that will absorb/reflect UV and IR light and transmit visible only.
Z.. (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
Thanks for that NachoMachma! It gets as hot as Hades in Australia, so UV is a problem. I'll check that out. I don't know what you mean by 'sealed box with Nitrogen' though? If you have a moment, can you explain? Cheers, Z..
NachoMahma Z..8 years ago
. Just any kind of box that is "air-tight" and weather-proof. The nitrogen will slow the aging process of the paper and control humidity.
Z.. (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
Got it! Thanks for that.