loading

Pls Help me!!!can i hold 12v dc and 24v dc? can i be grounded?

Pls Help me!!!can i hold 12v dc and 24v dc? can i be grounded?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
rickharris6 years ago
WHATEVER electricity you play with it is sense and good practice to regard ANYTHING that isn't fed from a SINGLE standard battery e.g. a car battery is going to be a danger to you. (NOTE 20 car batteries in series would produce 240 volts and could do you serious harm)

Current kills at very low levels provided it can flow through your body, across the heart from hand to hand is the most danger.

Even low voltages as Steve says could drive enough current through you to be a danger.

There are too many variables involved to be able to make an assessment of the danger level without being there. I personally would quite happily put my fingers across a 12 volt car battery - My friend swears he can feel the current flow as a tingle.
In the early 1900 a man died of electrotution from a 6 vdc source.
andy707076 years ago
12VDC and 24VDC are both fairly low voltages and can be safely handled without any special equipment. The voltage is so low that it won't pass through your body. However, this is assuming nothing is connected to it. The only way you can get hurt is if it is drawing a lot of current. For example, you can safely touch a 12v car battery when disconnected, but if you were to do the same when the engine is being started, it will be drawing about 60A which will give you a nasty shock and could even be fatal. Similarly, high voltage at a very low current can be relatively safe. Static shocks are a few thousand volts, but the current is so low that they don't hurt (ok, you can still feel them, but you get the idea).
verence6 years ago
Here in Germany, everything below 120V (DC) is considered 'Kleinspannung', i.e. 'small voltage'. This voltage is considered safe to be touched by a grown up, for children 60V are considered safe enough. Any circuit that doesn't use a higher voltage (e.g. battery powered ones) don't need special insulation. So while what the others said is right - 9V will feel nasty on your tongue and enough current out of a 12V battery will be able to start a fire - it is safe to touch the poles of a 12V or 24V battery.

But, keep in mind, the guys that made this regulation call everything up to 1kV (1000V) 'low voltage'.

And, those voltages are for DC. For AC the voltages are 50Veff (grown ups) and 25Veff (children).

And if there is a coil in the circuit, switching off a current flowing through the coil can induce a voltage of some hundreds of volts!

So yes, touching a battery is safe, touching an unknown circuit powered up by the same battery is probably not.
iceng6 years ago
Until you are 22 years old, You should Always have one of your hands
in your pocket whenever you touch a live conductor greater then 9 VDC !

After 21 your frontal lobe is fully developed and you will be able to access
the true degree of danger to your invulnerability to your organs.
Depends entirely on skin conductivity, sometimes, even 12V can feel nasty. Wet hands, or a pointy bit on the wire which pierces the skin will really hurt.
+1 -- skin conductivity matters a lot, as does internal resistance of the voltage source (how much current it will try to pump out to maintain that voltage). As an example of low voltage feeling nasty: Ever licked a 9V battery's terminals? (I'm NOT recommending it, but many of us got talked into trying that when we were kids so you might remember what it feels like.)

Even if you don't do internal damage, you can certainly burn yourself. The output of a model train transformer (topping out at around 18V) can easily be enough to ignite wood if put through a not-quite-short circuit. (Don't ask how I know this.)

What are you actually trying to do?