Potentiometer Help?

I am building a speaker out of two halmark music cards and i wanted to use a potentiometer to control the volume so i wouldn't have to do it on my ipod. I have build one before but did not use a potentiometer so i dont know how to wire it in. Other than the speaker im working on now and the speaker that I built before I have never built anything that involves electronics. What I need help with is what potentiometer I should get and how i should wire it into my project. Mostly I need to know how to wire it but if you could tell me what kind to get that would be great. I search high and low for about and hour but I could not find anything. I have included a diagram of all of the other speaker wiring. If you notice any problems with that also please tell me because i am sort of a noob at this. (I got a soldering iron two days ago) Thanks for the help.

Picture of Potentiometer Help?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
iceng6 years ago
First the iPod gas a volume control and balance control.

Next a physical connect diagram and a circuit schematic for each speaker

But you do not say how many ohms your speakers are ??

How can we design without value able information !

DBMods (author)  iceng6 years ago
The speaker itself does not say but on the back it has:


Hope that helped
iceng DBMods6 years ago
Try a 500 ohm pot
If you get a tapered one ( means it is not linear with rotation ) called an L-Pad.
All that taper does for you is make the sound seem to match your
hearing volume perception with rotation.

If you hook it up wrong you will notice. Never use a single taper pot as
a balance in stereo !!

If the 500 ohm does not seem to work you can try 1000 ohm = 1K pot.

DBMods (author)  iceng6 years ago
Thanks for all the help but I dont get what you mean by never use a single taper pot as a balance in stareo. Does that mean i need to get two?
iceng6 years ago
Single taper for a single speaker.

A third pot ( no taper ) is often used to balance volume on speakers with different
lengths of wire to the stereo because of room construction forces it on the

I have once crossed ( seen ) an audio balance pot with a dual taper,
please don't sleep over it and thanks for marking my answer best... .
DBMods (author)  iceng6 years ago
sorry but like i said before i am somewhat of a noob and i am still sort of confused. Does that mean that i should get two pots and hook them up separately?
iceng DBMods6 years ago
Exactly one for each speaker.
DBMods (author)  iceng6 years ago
Thanks for all the help!
DBMods (author)  iceng6 years ago
Also, I know this is a lot, but do you know if it would be possible to hook a sliding potentiometer to this? If so can you please tell me how because I am also trying to make this look good and I think that a sliding potentiometer would look the best. Thanks
iceng DBMods6 years ago
Yes, sliding pots have three terminals, the wiper and the end points
aelias366 years ago
You'll need a tapering pot. Make sure that you connect the third lug to ground to make a variable voltage divider rather than just a variable resister, though!
DBMods (author)  aelias366 years ago
Thanks for telling me the type of pot. Like i said in the question im a noob so i have no clue what any of that means (im 13.) If you could dum it down so it would be easier to understand that would be great. Also i am looking for what wires would go to where. If you could make a diagram that would be good but you can just tell me in words.