I am constructing the flyback driver found on the power labs website and cant get a 2N3055 transistor quite yet. I do, however, have a bag of transistors i pulled out of CRT monitors. I was wondering if one would be a good substitute for the 2N3055 for driving a new flyback, the number is C4916, the base-collector voltage is 1500 V and the Collector current is 7 Amp

sort by: active | newest | oldest
iceng5 years ago
The 2N3055 is a 60V  15A with a Min hfe = 20 at 4A.
It stands to reason 
the C4916 a 1500V  7A  with Min hfe = 8 at 1A or 4 @ 5A
is the wrong current and Gain

And illustrated the trade off between Vce max and Hfe....
Way over my head.
:Look at the Hfe figure, at the expected operating current. If its the same (or preferably higher), you can use it.

The 2N3055 is a venerable device, there are better Darlington devices now.
lemonie5 years ago
What you do is Google for "2N3055 datasheet", then do the same for the transistors you have and see if you can find a reasonable match.

budhaztm (author) 5 years ago
this is it