Trying to change 120 volt AC to 120 volt DC.

I have the full wave rectifier rated at 400 volts and 8 amps and need to know what kind of capacitor/ voltage regulator I might need to accomplish this. I'm powering two 100 watt lights off this. Thanks!

sort by: active | newest | oldest
JimZ71 year ago
Trying to change 120 volt AC to 120 volt DC.

So whats the answer for the original question ?

What kind of lights need a regulated supply ?
evilgenius32 (author)  steveastrouk5 years ago
The lights are going to be put to music, so I need a DC power supply so it will work with the DC audio circut. the lights are just 120 volt incandescent floodlights
Nah. Just use phase controled AC its much easier and safer
All you need is a bridge rectifier that can handle that kind of power.

I think this one can handle the job for you.

What kind of 100W lights do you have that take 120VDC? Assuming they are Halogen bulbs, do you really need to use those? Have you looked into other options?
He's asked for a regulator too.

I read it like he thinks he can use a capacitor and/or voltage regulator to do the AC to DC conversion. If he is worried about any fluctuation in the AC input then a couple of smoothing camps with a voltage regulator isn't a bad idea. But if he is trying to power a Halogen bulb then the slight dips and spikes of 120V mains isn't going to affect the operation of the bulb so a regulator wouldn't be needed.
evilgenius32 (author)  mpilchfamily5 years ago
The voltage does have to be fairly constant for it to work.
OK well incandescent bulbs need AC not DC.. But if 120VDC is still needed a bridge rectifier will keep the voltage as constant as the supply voltage. Of course main power can fluxuate between 110VAC and 125VAC.
I read the / as an "and" not an "or"
rickharris5 years ago
Why do you nee DC @ 120 volts for lights