What can I use to move a table top across a plane in the x y axes, (ie back and forth, side to side on the same level)?

This is a re-framing of an earlier Q that didn't get any replies :-( Essentially I have a small table top of 30cm2 and I want to move that back and forth and side to side on the same level/height. If you know how to do this please let me know, and shoudl you also know how to make the table rise up and down that would be a terrific bonus! At this point I am actually quite desparate for an answer as my project is held up until I can solve this. Many thanks for stopping by; all thoughts are appreciated.

rickharris7 years ago
Do you need to have precise control over the distance moved? If not critical then a cord and 2 pulleys and a motor and gear box to pull the cord..If precicion needed use a screw.
kevinhannan (author)  rickharris7 years ago
Thanks, Rick, I appreciate your time - I'll give your answer some thought - although at this point I'm not sure how I would use each pulley to manipulate its respective x/y axis position. I'll sleep on it, that usually works! Kind regards and thanks again!