What do we call ourselves?

We need a term for members of the Instructables community. En'iblers? Instructablists? Any other suggestions?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Re-design7 years ago
Geek, dork and loser I've been called. And then in the next breath they ask "How do I fix this?", or "Why does such and such?". I guess they're just jealous.
You forgot nerd. :)
I used to dream of being called a nerd. I never got that high in the food chain.
I dream of not being called a nerd. But everyone still wants stuff fixed, un-broken, etc :(
Kryptonite7 years ago
Instructablers, but more commonly known as makers and DIY'ers to the rest of the world.
DIY in the UK seems to only cover working on your house and garden.
How does the term "maker" go down?
Except in a narrow community, I don't think you'd describe yourself as a "maker" and be understood.
Hmm... good point. What's your suggestion?

Amongst friends I'm nothing special, just the guy who fixes stuff (for a small free).
In British culture, MAKING things has always been rather frowned upon, believe it or not -despite the best efforts of people like Ruskin and Morris, there is also an attitude that you only make it yourself if you can't afford to buy it from somewhere . Anyone can call themselves an Engineer, and so the guy who fixes your car is an "Engineer", as is the guy who mends the washing machine. Steve
Engineer does sound very upper class... I can't wait for the next Great Depression, every one will make stuff again!
'Iblers ?
orksecurity7 years ago
Actually, I usually call myself "cat", but I don't think that's what you were looking for either.
kelseymh7 years ago
...So long as they're not British risk-takers....
I call myself a DIY'er When they ask where I learn/share most of my stuff: I just go instructables.com a little slice of heaven for a DIY'er
orksecurity7 years ago
I just say "[member[s] of] the Instructables community" or "folks on Instructables". Not what you're looking for, I know.
nickodemus7 years ago
I would say Instructable-ites, but I second Kelsey's answer. Makers.
Gorfram7 years ago
I think we're called 'Iblers, as we often create 'Ibles.
kelseymh7 years ago
jtobako7 years ago