Instructables

What is a chronically toxic dose of eugenol?

How much cloves is too much? I see on the MSDS that the rat LD50 is 1930 mg/kg, which no reasonable person would consume in one day. But I wonder about the effects of consuming a large amount every day. Can anyone find some data on the lowest reported oral dose of eugenol (in mg per kg) that showed long-term toxicity in a human? Or, conversely, the highest reported dose that was shown to be nontoxic over the long-term?

Picture of What is a chronically toxic dose of eugenol?
kelseymh5 years ago
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=eugenol+long-term+toxicity&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search

The primary research appears to be on cytotoxicity (tissue damage) from zinc-oxide-eugenol compounds used as periodontic sealers (e.g., after root canals). I didn't find any articles on the first two pages which dealt with whole-body toxicity.
I suspect it would be difficult to absorb enough cloves to cause issues. Clove oil would be a likely candidate for overdosage of eugenol. In general the doses that cause damage even in the long term seem to be far beyond what any one would take in during a day...
Pro

Get More Out of Instructables

Already have an Account?

close

PDF Downloads
As a Pro member, you will gain access to download any Instructable in the PDF format. You also have the ability to customize your PDF download.

Upgrade to Pro today!