What is this tool for?

Can anyone tell me what this tool is for?


I came across it all rusted and thought it was some type of pliers or cutter. After I cleaned it up I could tell it was probably neither. What I thought was a plier jaw is actually one piece and does not close and what i thought maybe the cutting blade, actually had lines and numbers, like a ruler.

The one small screw that the spring is attached to, will allow you to adjust how far the jaw/cutter will close and the other screw, when loosened a bit allows you to slide the little metal 'arm' in or out, like a measuring template.

It has some fancy designs on the handles as you can see and the only marking says "Made in Western Germany".

Picture of What is this tool for?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
GordonS152 years ago

Can anyone tell me what this set of rings are called or used for?

GordonS152 years ago
millsy22 (author) 4 years ago
Thanks for the quick and accurate responses. I want losing sleep over not knowing but I was pretty curious.

Would it be asking too much if I also asked if anyone could explain (or show via video maybe) how it was/is used.

This was the closest I could find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrktGF6X2WQ
iceng4 years ago
While it could be a saw tooth bender with
adjustment or bend limits with the spring screw able to limit the closing the handles.
I do not believe the pressing adjustable S steel is stiff enough for a saw.

Instead this could be a tool to stepwise roll  or partially bend a metal or hardboard foil.
Not just straight line but in a curved arc.
I have been educated :-)
I hope I didn't come off like a jerk.
Not at all.
I really enjoy learning new tools.

When at a garage-sale..  I enjoy mentally understanding the weird gadgets
that people are trying to sell.
Now that sounds like a great hobby. I love estate sales for all of the randomness and weird.
MrRedBeard4 years ago
Ok definitely a saw maintenance tool.
MrRedBeard4 years ago
It kinda looks like a farm castration tool.

Oh found references. They're pliers used in logging? Maybe for straightening teeth on a saw blade?

See TLC0018 http://www.boltsantiquetools.com/tool_lovers_club_tlc001-tlc0025.html