What type of mold to use?

I have a metal drawer pull that has been discontinued & ive searched on line without any success. I thought I could make a copy out of moldable hard plastic, but I would prefer it to the drawer pull be metal. What should I use & how do I get the metal into a liquid form to pour into the mold?it would only be the drop ring only, thanks for any help in this quest.


Picture of What type of mold to use?
Paige Russell9 months ago

Hi Marlene,

There are several types of RTV silicone rubber that you can use for casting low-temperature metal/alloys like tin and pewter (SmoothOn's Mold Max 60 has the highest heat resistance that I know of at 560° F / 294° C), but RTV silicone is NOT recommended for higher melting temperature metals.

To cast aluminum, brass, or copper, you'll need to do lost wax casting in a plaster mold. Here are two instructables and an online example that go over the lost wax casting process:




Hope this was helpful!


One way is once you have the mold ready, use a wire hard enough to bend it to the shape inside the cavity. I suggest to use rigid polyurethane that is liquid as water and strong enough to replicate the strength needed. You can add color to the urethane or painted after.