What type of seam is this? I can not find how to do it as I dont know its style :D?

The question explains it all, What kind of seam is it that is all over this Jersey? Thanks

Picture of What type of seam is this? I can not find how to do it as I dont know its style :D?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
It looks like a locking seam (frequently used in blue jeans) to me. WhitneySews has a tutorial on finishing seams on her blog and on YouTube.
ddj01956 years ago
This look can be accomplished with several different techniques. To be certain how this particular jacket was done, we would need extreme close ups of the stitching on the outer side as well as views of the inside of the garment. The easiest way to get this look is use a fabric with some padding to it, and just top stitch the design. If the fabric isn't thick enough to accomplish the look, you can use Trapunto Quilting technique. Two layers of fabric, stitched together forming your pattern/design. Then you cut slits in the backing fabric in order to thread a cord or yarn into the pocket you created with the stitching. (Stitch the cuts closed after.)

As already mentioned, it could be a flat felled seam (hard to do on corners and angles like these), or it could be pieced together with piping stitched into the seams then flattened. Piping is likely to leave a rounded top rather than flat.

If you are piecing the parts together and then top stitching the second line to give it a textured look, you may want to fold one (one both) of the seam edges into the seam to give it more bulk. You can get a nice clean seam on the inside by trimming one of the seam edges and then folding the other seam edge.

Handsome jacket.
Because it's active-wear, I'll bet it's a flat-felled surged seam. If water repellency is advertised, it may be heat-sealed in addition to flat felling and surging.
dar1bak6 years ago
I think it's a flat-fell (or flat-felled). Check this page:


That's a good instructable.
On this jacket the the seams looks like piping becasue of the fabric.
A flat felled seam looks the same on fleece too.
kevinhannan6 years ago
I agree with frollard because that would be the cheaper way to make it, using fewer, larger pieces rather than several smaller pieces which reduces the risk of seam failure, too.
Burf6 years ago
It looks like an ordinary welted cord seam to me. It is used frequently in upholstery.
Re-design6 years ago
It looks to me like the pieces are sewn face to face then unfolded and the decorative bead is sewn on the face.
orksecurity6 years ago
If it isn't just decorative darts as Frollard suggests... then I'd say it looks like a rolled/folded edge which is then sewn down over the layer beneath it. That would produce the same effect, anyway....

("Sewing is just like woodworking, if your wood is really flexible and stretchy.")
frollard6 years ago
I think (don't quote me) its a solid piece, and those are just like darts - perhaps with some piping material quilted between 2 stitches.