What's the name of this type of switch?

what's the name of the type of switch then works by rotating it, and you can keep rotating it on one direction.  Like the kind of switch that controls the volume in a car.  I'm assuming that every click switches between being it conducting and not conducting?  I need to use one with a micro controller (I don't want to use a potentiometer because they can only rotate so much) and I need to know the name so i can buy one.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
NachoMahma7 years ago
.  I think what you are talking about is called an "incremental rotary encoder".
this switch is also mentioned in some appliances as " JOG DIAL "  (such as mobile phones , media players and dj consoles ) 
lemonie7 years ago
It's a rotary switch, as used here for example:


klee27x7 years ago
Encoder wheel
Jayefuu7 years ago
If you have an old mouse you could disassemble that to get one, the scroll wheel in them uses the switch you describe....
seandogue7 years ago
Hmm...if it's a modern radio, then this might be a more likely candidate. In this case, it would likely be acting as a clocking source for an auto-step volume control IC (as I recall, that's a feature alot of digital volume control ICs offer, or did, when I was interested a couple years ago).