Whats this weird looking Component?(pic included)?

And yes,Tell me what it does. I have never seen such a thing,It came from some speaker box that had knobs to controll the tweeter and woofer(it was in the trash) Edit:Also The woofer and mid speakers where blown I could have taken the speaker,for its coil but i did not.

Picture of Whats this weird looking Component?(pic included)?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
NachoMahma8 years ago
. Mylar film capacitor. They are part of the crossover network.
ReCreate (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
eh...no it looks quite diffirent
. eh...no it looks just like 'em. Commonly found in speaker crossovers. . Not only do they look like 'em. You're only likely to find three components in a speaker box: inductor, capacitor, and resistor. Plus some wire and speakers - obviously not those. I'm going with cap.
ReCreate (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
umm... Really? That looks zippo like what i have
. My mistake polypropylene film capacitor.
ReCreate (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
so since their capacitors do they store electricity? could i use these caps to zap my ni-cd batteries?
. From an ofttimes faulty memory, the values of the caps are 1.5K uF and 5.0K uF. It appears that both are rated for 200V. Double-check my figures and then do the math.
i think this value not in uF (micro) but nF (nano) or pF (pico)
ReCreate (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
what do you mean?
Double-check my figures and then do the math.
. Verify that the caps have the values I gave and then see if they will work in your application.
ReCreate (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
Oh it does have it...WHO HOO!
ReCreate (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
A HA thats what it is!
ReCreate (author) 8 years ago
after discussions i found that it is a polypropylene film capacitor.
frollard8 years ago
Looks like 2 cylindrical batteries soldered together and shrink wrapped. Could be an inductor coil, or a huge resistor or capacitor. 5.0K makes me think kilo ohms, 200 20.0%? test with a multimeter...
ReCreate (author)  frollard8 years ago
i don't think so but i connected it to to a speaker through one of the leads and th overall sound was a but quieter
Sounds like a resistor or inductor (choke) then - both resist the flow of electrons (in their own different ways). The choke would be used to remove certain frequencies from getting to certain speakers - only send the bass to the woofer, the treble to the tweets, etc.
ReCreate (author)  frollard8 years ago
hmm...yes that might be what it is
Plasmana8 years ago
I agree with NachoMahma, they are most likely to be film capacitors.
ReCreate (author)  Plasmana8 years ago
i don't think so