Which adhesive to use for fibreglass?

I want to glue hard plastic brackets to the inside of a fibreglass pond. Contact area will be around 18" x 2". They will be continuously underwater. Is Araldite the best glue to use for this or is there something better?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
araldite rapid in the syringe is good because it dries quick and isn`t messy because it automaticlly mixes them!!!
AndyGadget (author)  thecookiemonster8 years ago
I've just stocked up with Araldite Rapid today. No need for the syringe as I'll be emptying the tubes which will be 50/50 anyway (and better value ;¬)
lemonie8 years ago
Araldite(R) is good stuff, but I find Wilkinson cheap-o 2 part epoxy is also pretty good. Key the surface properly and you're probably alright with either. L
Can't/couldn't be bothered - new hat? L
Yah, thought I'd tout it about for a while.
I was thinking of getting a hat myself to keep my hair in place... But something acceptable to wear into the office. L
Deerstalker perhaps?
Well what do you think (ignore glasses - not mine)
Good golly... You look younger than I pictured you. I'd say either a deerstalker or a wide brimmed fedora. A bowler would look interesting.
Fedora is probably best out of those L
I have the Indiana Jones Vintage Fedora, over the past year it's proven itself to be a worthy companion.
I'll let you know if I find something (and buy it) L
AndyGadget (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Thanks Lemonie. I've used the Wilco epoxy in the past and found it was a bit more flexible than Araldite® when it was set. I think I will go for the 'genuine article' as I'm wondering if the constant wet may penetrate the Wilco epoxy more. It's one of those things which would be tricky to repair if it all came apart, so I'll spend the extra to try and get it right once.
(BTW, the Wilkinson UHU® equivalent is rubbish ;¬)
Araldite may be a safer bet, but half the job is in the surface preparation. L
KentsOkay8 years ago
Two Part Epoxy, or JB Weld.
AndyGadget (author)  KentsOkay8 years ago
Hi RS. J.B. Weld isn't something you see in the shops in the U.K. and their website FAQs actually recommend a different product (Waterweld or J-B Stik) if the glue is going to be wet all the time.