adjustable AMP car battery charger+ carbon rod= welder?

Is this a good idea?  It goes up to 200 amps. Thanks in advance for your answers

sort by: active | newest | oldest
lemonie7 years ago

What kind of car battery charger gives you 200A?
You should use welding rods, and like steve' said without regulation you've little control over what it does.

jules15 (author)  lemonie7 years ago
Its a charger/engine starter with 2, 10, 40, or 200 amps
lemonie jules157 years ago

Ah, a starter too. I'm thinking that it wouldn't give you 200A for long. That is you'd spend a lot of time waiting for it to cool down.

Yep. Look at the manual for what its rated duty cycle is at that power level.

Small I should think<5%?
(for some reason I didn't want to mention "duty-cycle").

jules15 (author) 7 years ago
thank you all for your input
Why bother with the carbon rod ? It will weld (DC) directly. Not sure how well it will work, because the regulation is usually non-existent. Try it.