clay degredation with release spray?

Hi,

Just wondering if your clay gets contaminated with mold release spray over time and if that weakens its properties (to stick to itself and other things)? Or do you scrape of a thin layer off of it and discard after use?


Paige Russell9 months ago

Hi SuperRistopaha,

That's a great question!

I've never really worried about it, and have never had a problem reusing the clay.

I use oil based (sulfur-free) sculpting clay and mostly use a very light mist of cooking oil spray as a release (since I do mostly food-safe projects) which is non-toxic and 'oil-ily' compatible.

The Mann's 200 release is applied in such a thin coat (that dries) and I've never noticed any undesirable qualities in the clay as a result of a few applications getting worked in. I imagine if you were using exclusively solvent based releases like Mann's and the clay was getting regular coatings (a la two part molds), it would be a good idea to scrape of the top layer of clay that received the coating just in case a build up of the release in the clay would cause irritation to your skin.

Hope that was helpful! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

-Paige