how do i convert cell phone headset for computer?

I have a headset for cell phone, but i need a headset (mic and headphone) for my computer. But the input for the cell phone headset is too small for the computer 'in' jackhole (green). How do I convert the headset jack to fit the computer jack hole?

legless7 years ago
It sounds like your phone headset has a 2.5mm plug and the connectors on computer sound cards are 3.5mm. It doesn't end there there as you can not just use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter which are commonly available by the way.

The computer has separate connections for sound out and microphone in. You could try using one of these adapters which has the correct connections. Otherwise it means a bit of rewiring.

I'm sure you could get one on ebay too.
Re-design8 years ago
Get down to Radio shack and get a jack converter. I think the computer uses 1/8 jack and headphone you have is probably 3/32. Take the headphone with you so you can get the right size and they will have a computer to test it on.
Remember that the headset shares the plug for mono audio and mono microphone - you need 2 1/8 male jacks to go to the computer wired to the female plug for your headset.
XOIIO8 years ago
Just get two headphone jacks, strip the wires on them, and on the headset, the solder the wires together. One for the mic input, and one for the speaker output.