With Instructables you can share what you make with the world, and tap into an ever-growing community of creative experts.
We have a be nice comment policy. Please be positive and constructive.
We noticed you attached photosto your comment.
Look up LDS Prepper Geothermal greenhouse on YouTube. He has a working geothermal system that uses 4" plastic drain pipe that is 8 feet below the ground where temperatures tend to be around 55 degrees year round. A fan pulls air from one end of the greenhouse, down the buried pipe and back out again. The exposure to ground temperatures changes the air temperature in the greenhouse. This is a working system that heats in the winter and cools in the summer. His videos have all the necessary details.
I wouldnt recommend duplicating that design as its not delivering 10% of its potential. Unfortunately, to gain the other 90% all the tubing has to come back up. During the summer, you`ll see it wont keep the greenhouse cool (below 100F) even with the help of shadecloth.
Hey Rick, Don't forget that the earth maintains a constant temperature. Geothermal actually is an air conditioner in the summer. It's the best of both worlds.
FYI the DIY option you are looking for is called an "earth tube" and you can find some write up on "Build it solar"
Make Your Own Greenhouse - How Fast the Plants Grow
Off Grid Japanese Soaking Tub
Geothermal Cuisine: Camping Food From Hot Springs & Steam Vents
2-Liter greenhouse for stem cuttings
Cheap Geothermal system
Car Greenhouse - Growing Food, Extending the Season and Succeeding With Tropicals
Greenhouse Modifications for Hot Climates
My Eco-Friendly Garage Heater: A Pneumatic Solar Thermal Collector
Recycled Computer Fans to Operate Heat Sinks
Best Solar Oven
Posted:Mar 27, 2011
Let your inbox help you discover our best projects, classes, and contests. Instructables will help you learn how to make anything!
© 2016 Autodesk, Inc.