is there any way to make a cnc-type thing, but you turn cranks to move the tool?

I want to make a machine to cut parts using my Dremel, which is positioned by turning cranks. Like a cnc, but you are the controller and computer. :)

sort by: active | newest | oldest
kelseymh8 years ago
Steve's almost right -- it's called a real miliing machine.  Those new-fangled CNC things are for wussed-out so-called "machinists" who don't have the hand-eye coordination for proper precision work. 

Jayefuu has given you a link to an I'ble for building the whole thing. 

If you just want the parts, and want to design the two-axis control table yourself, either search Google, or go to McMaster-Carr, and look for "worm gears" and "Acme threaded rod."
Hi Kelsey,

In fairness, a CNC can do jobs a human can't touch.

WIth your acme rod, get acme nuts.

Yeah, I was just being curmudgeonly :-)
'Tis the be grumpy...falalala,la, la"

Yes, its called a milling machine. You can buy tables like this:
Jayefuu8 years ago
The search boxis really useful :)

This one has handles you can turn to control it by hand.