loking for a device to enlarge a pattern by tracing it?

A pantograph is nice for tracing an outline quickly, but it might be more than you need. If you want to greatly enlarge a pattern, the grid method is the way to go: You draw a small grid across your small image, a big grid across your big surface, and copy the shape you see in each small square to the corresponding big square.
frollard8 years ago
You want a pantograph


You put a pen in one side, and a stylus in the other (depending on if you want to scale up or down.

they're cheap to buy, and cheaper to make (out of a few paint stir sticks and bolts)
see attached image for the deadly easy version using cardboard and tacks.

Same principle, but instead of a pen, you use a router to carve the pattern into wood. Skip to the last half to see it in use.