loading

safe mercury?

i have always wondered is there a substance with properties like mercury that is safe to the touch i just think it would be cool to play with. :p

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Gallinstan liquid metal comes to mind. (I calculate that mixing it from component metals would cost about $182 per pound. The indium part is seriously expensive.)

Field's metal is not quite liquid at room temperature, but some related gallium-indium-tin alloys are.

Pure gallium melts below body temperature.

Interesting note:
Remember to always check your unit prices before calling something a good deal. Field's Metal is unfortunately about $1,121 per pound if you buy small quantities from Mr. Field, as opposed to the $121 per pound cost of the component metals at recent market prices. You might want to buy this off Ebay or from MUTR.co.uk instead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan

It's used in mercury-free thermometers.

It's considered to be much safer, but keep in mind it contains lead, and if I remember correctly, it stains... so handle it with care (and things you don't care about).
Gallinstan contains no lead, provided you do not spill it on a lead surface.
My bad... I got the formula mixed up with something else. I retract my stupid remark, and rephrase it thus: Galinistan: It's used in mercury-free thermometers. It's considered to be much safer. It's probably not wise to eat it, swim in it, or wear it daily as makeup or moisturizer, but it is non-toxic in normal exposures. It stains, so handle it with care (and with things you don't care about).
Evilblaze8 years ago
Actually mercury is not a strong poison. If you don't drink it than there will be no problem. You just need a staunch bottle what is from glass (because the mercury make amalgam-s with other metals). And is a little mercury gets on the floor than don't panic. Just put a little sulfur on it and you can throw it in to the trash. And remember, you can touch mercury some times if you want, but NEVER touch mercury salts, especially chloride and nitrate. The mercury salts are really strong poisons!
If the mercury gets on fabrics or carpet, you've got to throw that out too. Same for unfinished wood, paper, or anything else that might absorb some of it. Honestly, this stuff isn't for the children at home.
Yes, elemental mercury is not absorbed much by the skin. But the biggest problem with mercury in its elemental state is that it gives off vapor. According to Wikipedia, 80% of the mercury vapor your breathe will end up in your blood. Chronic exposure to this is quite dangerous.
Even the small amount in a thermometer, if it were to be spilled, can produce enough vapor to be considered dangerous if exposed chronically.
ryugatana8 years ago
Don't touch mercury. It enters the lungs then goes into the bloodstream.
lemonie8 years ago
Liquid mercury is safe enough to touch, but it tends to get everywhere and make a mess. I don't know of anything that's very much the same L