ubuntu WiFi problems?

Recently after replacing the router in the house, my main ubuntu machine wifi has become extremely slow and unreliable. The culprit appears to be the speed at which the connection get set at 15mb/s or 1mb/s. The Belkin N300 USB WiFi card is capable of 150mb/s, but for some reason it only operates at really nice blazing speeds for a few seconds to minutes after connecting, showing speeds up to 10Gbit/sec transient when first connecting, and the average internet speeds of ~5-10mb/s, but then instantly dropping down into the k bit/s range in the system monitor.

* A wired connection is not an option

* I have tried "sudo iwconfig wlan1 rate 150"  and "sudo iwconfig wlan1 bit 150" Seems to do nothing.

* I have also tried "sudo iw wlan1 set bitrates legacy-2.4 9" This seems to change the connection bitrate, but has no permanent effects, and absolutely no noticeable effects on the actual transfer speeds.

* I have tried installing device drivers using windows drivers on the disc, and using "windows wireless drivers" application in linux, though it seemed to have no effect. (I don't think ubuntu is even using those drivers!)

At this point I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is. I know that this wireless chip works fine in windows. Any ideas, I am not an expert at this stuff.

Stupid question since you have a new router:
Did you assign the IP addresses for your devices manually?
It often happens that two devices get the same IP automatically, for example when the other one is turned off already.
With two devices running at the same IP you get all sorts of problems.
Also check the encryption, some modems struggle with the new protocals and high encryption during handshake.


And: Did you check the actual transfer speed or the connection speed? ;)
To me it sounds you check the transfer speed during the connection, if so try a decent sized download to check the speeds.

-max- (author)  Downunder35m1 year ago
The old router died, and the new router works just fine with every other wifi device, and for quite some time it also worked on linux with a newer TP-link card. However that card does not work anymore, and I am back to the same problems I had with the N300, at least until I receive my new card from amazon. Yes, I literally mean the actual bitrate between the router and the USB cards. I can't even load a basic HTML webpage, let alone speedtest, It would never load, just keep rolling, and eventually give up with a 'no data received' error. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour for a printing request to finally pass through to a networked printer too. The whole time the Tx/Rx data in system monitor would never go above 0.6Mb/s. I have seen errors in the past pop up on other computer nagging about a IP address conflict, but I assumed that fixed itself awhile ago. Shouldn't the cards select IP addresses that are not being used, especially when set (by default) to DHCP? I don't use static IP addresses for anything that I know of. I Have no encryption or protection enabled, since I am out in the the middle of nowhere and that is a PITA to deal with, so I don't think it has anything to do with encryption.

I used to have a really big and clunky wireless G card that worked beautifully with every operating system without the need for drivers, and it was "designed for windows XP." Sadly though that card eventually also became very unreliable all of the sudden then died.

Well, you did not mention the problem is with the USB and not the Wifi ;)
Don't speak Linux but what works for Windows might do the same for it:
Instead of trying to find a driver for the card itself try some drivers for the chipset in use.
Often the manufacturer only supplied one driver while others created newer and better ones.
But even with just USB1 speeds you should be able to load a website, so maybe your problem is not with the WiFi card or their drivers but with your mainboard and the USB drivers for that?

-max- (author)  Downunder35m1 year ago

I suspect this is a driver issue, and I don't know much about wireless communication, but from what I understand, the router and dongle automatically settle on a connection speed best optimized for SNR, signal strength, and other factors. Some reason I think that this is where the issue lies. Strangely, even when the connection bitrate is reporting as 1mb/s, for the first few seconds to minutes after freshly reconnecting, I get the speeds that I shoud from my ISP, and can watch 2K video with no little/no buffering. During this time the streaming data is averaging about 5 to 9Mb/s.

However, now it seems like ubuntu does not recognize the card at all. I do know that this card was used on a older PC, and I saved it from the dumpster because it was causing that computer to BSOD. For about a year I have not had issues with it on my rig, until recently.