Antiquated keyboard conversion

Alright so, I've recently aquired a  keyboard from a desktop computer made in 1983 and I fell in lovewith it at my first sight of it. However I am a lot younger than this keyboard so I know nothing about it so I was wondering if any of you could give me any background info on this  keybaord and and any thoughts on whether it would be possible for me to convert it so i could plug it into my slightly outdated desktop computer and how i would go about doing so. Pictures  below.

Picture of Antiquated keyboard conversion
sort by: active | newest | oldest
lemonie5 years ago
Does "CALTEXT" sound anything like Caltech to you?

krusher29 (author)  lemonie5 years ago
Hmm, it does but I'm not sure as on the inside of the computer that goes with this keyboard it says it was made in england by a company called 'ceedata' i think caltext is just the model name.
Yes, that's it; caltext is just the model name but they very probably chose it because it sounds like Caltech, because there's an implication of "quality" in that name.

caitlinsdad5 years ago
Off the top of my head, that looks like a DB25 pin connector for serial port communication, probably one of those good IBM type click keys. You can research on the caltext keyboard, maybe only a branded logo but look up IBM keyboards, this may be a precursor to PS/2 standards but possibly can be converted to feel usb or PS/2 with the serial output. Good luck.
dedicated functions keys point to this was part of some terminal machine used for word processing or editing programming.
krusher29 (author)  caitlinsdad5 years ago
So if I did manage to convert it to be able to plug into my computer how would I got about assigning all the word processing keys to do they job in say notepad or word and how would i assign the redundant keys to perform the funtions of the keys that it lacks?
read up on some of the usb keyboard hack ibles - you have to see what signals or codes come out of each key press and there are plenty of software utilties to remap what they do or pass it through an arduino to reinterpret the keyboard signals.