Anyone any comments on "Downdraught extractors" for kitchen stoves

I'm looking at rejigging our kitchen at home in the UK. On various US programs, we've seen "downdraught" extractor fans which seem to be a very neat solution to the problem of getting fumes off the stove and outside.

Trouble is, they aren't really available in the UK, and if I get one, I'll have to ship if from the USA......

Before I do that though, I wondered if any Iblers had opinions for or against this type of extraction ?



sort by: active | newest | oldest
Foxtrot704 years ago
Steve - Here in the US a manufacturer JennAire makes their stoves with a "downdraught" (UK) "downdraft" US vent in the center of the top cooking surface. This is really convenient in situations where an overhead vent system is impossible or as an addition. I have a friend who has one they work very well.
steveastrouk (author)  Foxtrot704 years ago ???
steveastrouk (author)  Foxtrot704 years ago
Ah, that might be even better - its going on an Island unit anyway. Thanks for the tip.
bosherston4 years ago
It will probably need to be cleaned more than a hood? If you propose to vent it outside somewhere near floor level are there building regs that prohibit this?

On the plus side - saves a fair bit of space I guess.


steveastrouk (author)  bosherston4 years ago
It'll be less hassle to clean than a hood though, we suspect.
That's a cool idea - never seen one myself...
That's a cool idea - never seen one myself...
Dark Light4 years ago
I have 3 houses, two with this type of fan, and one with just a blower that filtered then circulated the air back into the kitchen.

The downdraught extractor you're asking about was very good when I cooked smokey or greasy items like steak, or bacon, or of course when my wife overcooked something. LOL. It served it's purpose well, but for everyday cooking it was a bit of overkill. I probably only "needed" it for one out of every five meals, on average.

It did, however, function better than just the fan that recirculated the air. The filter in that fan had to be cleaned quite often due to the grease, etc getting in there.

All in all, those downdraughts are nice if you have the money to play with, but not a neccessity if you'd rather spend the money on say, better counter tops.
* have HAD* 3 houses. lol. I shouldn't type before I have my coffee.

PS They are also nice if you have someone who smokes in the house. Those blowers really pull that smoke out, too.
Ninzerbean4 years ago
Here in the US, the type you HAVE to buy has to match with the btu's of the stove underneath. I had a 'commercial' stove, and by code had to have one that could have sucked up small children from across the street. Did I mention it was loud? I hated it because even on 'low' (the only setting I ever used) it was so noisy that conversation in the kitchen was impossible. An electrician friend removed one of the two blowers (suckers?) inside and that helped a little tiny bit.

Now I am in a new house and re-doing the kitchen here, the codes in this state are not as strict and I have much more leeway in what I have bought - for the very same stove as I had in my old house. I went with the quietest one that was available, it's called a Zephyr. Hope that helps some.

So I guess what I am saying is check your building codes so you don't buy something that won't be allowed, or actually is unsafe, and check the DB levels of what ever you buy.